Officials have identified the gunman as Salvador Ramos, who is believed to have acted alone. According to Texas Governor Greg Abbott, the 18-year-old suspect attended Uvalde High School.
Here are the most recent developments:
- Before going to school, the suspect shot his grandmother: According to three law enforcement sources, Ramos shot his grandmother before going to the elementary school. According to Texas Department of Public Safety Sgt. Erick Estrada, the grandmother is in critical condition.
- The suspect wore body armor and crashed his vehicle near the school before attempting to enter the premises, according to Estrada. The suspect was apprehended by law enforcement, but he was able to get inside, where he “entered several classrooms and started shooting his firearm,” Estrada said.
- According to the US Department of Homeland Security, at least one Border Patrol agent was wounded by gunfire from the shooter who had barricaded himself inside the building. “Despite the risk to their own lives, these Border Patrol Agents and other officers placed themselves between the shooter and children on the scene in order to divert the shooter’s attention away from potential victims and save lives,” said spokesperson Marsha Espinosa.
- Social media photo of firearms: Just three days before the shooting, a photo of two AR15-style rifles appeared on an Instagram account linked to the gunman. His TikTok page only has one post of a mobile game, but the bio under his profile picture says, “Kids be scared irl,” or in real life.
- The remainder of the school year has been canceled: The rest of the school year, which was supposed to end on Thursday, has been canceled, according to Dr. Hal Harrell, superintendent of Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District. On Wednesday morning, the district will provide “grief counseling and support at the civic center for our students,” he said.
- Biden urges Americans to “turn this pain into action”: Following Tuesday’s shooting, President Joe Biden urged the United States to channel its collective grief into political action. “Where in the name of God is our backbone, to deal with and stand up to the lobbies?” “It’s time to put this pain to work,” he said.
- More mass shootings have occurred than days in 2022: The 144th day of the year was Tuesday, May 24. According to the nonprofit organization Gun Violence Archive, there will be at least 212 mass shootings in 2022. A mass shooting, according to CNN and the GVA, is one in which four or more people are injured or killed, not including the shooter.
- Elon Musk: Transgender Daughter applies to legally change her name. She wants nothing to do with father
- One of the Philippines’ senior government attorneys was shot and killed in Philadelphia
- An Apple employee at a store in Maryland voted to join a union for the first time in the United States
- A Netflix production crew and cast van crash in Mexico has resulted in two deaths
- Yet another shooting in USA – 1 person killed and 3 injured in a shooting in Washington, DC